Baringo North district profile
BARINGO NORTH DISTRICT
partner organization: SILVERSPRINGS YOUTH CBO
Lawrence Kipruto Kiplagat (District Coordinator)
Mzee Solomon’s building, Katibel centre off Kinyach-Kabarnet Road
P.O. Box 489-30400, Kabarnet
Registered with Social Services
Geographical area: Kabartonjo, Kipsaraman, Barwesa and Bartabwa
Major sectors of work: Girl Child Empowerment through better access to education, Environmental Conservation and Management, HIV/Aids
Human Resources: 2 paid staff
Main sources of income: Donations and grants from National and international organisations
Silver Springs Youth CBO was started in the year 2001 and was formally registered with social services. It has fifteen members drawn from the four administrative divisions of Baringo North; Kabartonjo, Kipsaraman, Barwessa and Bartabwa. The members are all professionals from various fields.
Our mission is to have a just society through capacity building of the young generation through formal education.
Silver Springs Youth CBO has two broad aims:
• To alleviate poverty through capacity building
• To reduce girl-child suffering, dropouts and absenteeism due to lack of basic necessities
We have been operational at Barwessa division for our first five years and it was in the year 2007 that we covered the whole district of Baringo North advocating for the girl child education through sanitary towels campaign in conjunction with the Ministry of Education.
Silver Springs Youth CBO has so far undertaken various projects like:
• In 2005 undertook a KHADREP program (advocacy and awareness of HIV/AIDS on Youth) with National Aids Control Council
• In 2006- community awareness programme with Kenya Wildlife Service/CDTF-Benefits of wildlife and need to conserve Lake Kamnarok National Reserve.
• 2007-2008 in Barwessa, Kabartonjo and Bartabwa, we undertook a program with Actionaid Kenya and the Ministry of Education named Girl and Boy Child where we advocated on the child needs in education and equality between the two genders. We also distributed sanitary towels to the girls.
Silver Springs Youth CBO aspirations:
It seeks a sustainable partnership with stakeholders who are to deal with community challenges and setbacks faced by the young in achieving their life long dream
Last Updated (Wednesday, 13 April 2011 15:05)