Limuru district profile
partner organization: RAYS OF HOPE INITIATIVE (ROHI)
Titus Kuria Mbugua
Ririroni Shopping Centre, along Nairobi-Nakuru highway
P.O BOX 141-00217, Limuru
Phone: +254721842945; +254737628813
District coordinator: Samuel Kung’u Kinyanjui
Geographical area: Three divisions in Meru South namely; Karingani, Kiang’ondu and Chuka township
Major sectors of work: Social, environmental and economic empowerment for community development.
Human Resources: No paid staff
Main sources of income: Donations and grants from national and international organisations
Rays of hope initiative is a youth led initiative that was begun in the early 2007 in a pre-urban village known as Rironi, 30kilometres from the Nairobi city centre. Although the Rays of Hope was started by six young people with a shared vision of to transforming its name into practical reality , it has managed to bring together a team of 35 committed young people that are making steps to act as role models and to transform the social, economic and environmental realities of this small village that has been known to shelter high-way criminals, that is a haven for illicit substances and has consistently trailed in education exam results in the District quoting the recent examination results which rated Central Province as the poorest.
Mission: To undertake youth led initiatives that provide both space and skill for social, environmental and economic empowerment for community development.
Vision: To establish a permanent comprehensive community facility capable offering essential services to the community in ICT and up to date information access
Motto: “my community, my responsibility”
1. To provide space for youths to voice and discuss their social concerns and formulate local practical solutions.
2. To create and maintain a network of youths and youth groups in the region.
3. Divert young people from idleness by providing relevant information and vocational skill enhancement.
4. Encourage young people to get to know their status
5. To scale down the consumption illicit liquor and combat irresponsible consumption of substances.
6. Engage in activities geared to environmental conservation and good governance education.
7. Enhance access of information to the population building on the existing resource center.
8. Create channels offering local and global partnerships for development.
School programme; Community Greening; Information Resource; Youth Empowerment;
Youths and Sports; Economic Empowerment; Sale of tree seedlings
- 21/06/2011 09:22 - Seminar Series- Gender and HIV/AIDS Education in the Multicultural Context of Schools in Kakuma Refugee Camp and its Surrounding Host Community in Kenya
- 09/05/2011 14:35 - Educate More Girls Today for a Better Kenya
- 04/05/2011 06:58 - GLOBAL ACTION WEEK (GAW) - 2nd to 8th May 2011
- 13/04/2011 12:16 - Mbeere district profile
- 13/04/2011 10:35 - Malindi district profile
Last Updated (Wednesday, 13 April 2011 10:35)