Tharaka District Profile
partner organization: RURAL INITIATIVE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (RIDEP)
Chabari K. Zaverio (District Coordinator)
BTL Building next to MOPW Tharaka
P.O. Box 29-60215, Marimanti
Phone: +254726526524; 0733413260
Registered in 2003
Geographical area: Tharaka regions
Major sectors of work: Food and Livelihood security
Human Resources: 4 paid staff
Main sources of income: Donations and grants from national and international organisations
Rural Initiatives Development Programme (RIDEP) is a registered indigenous Kenyan Community Based Organization (CBO) and works with the less developed communities in order to improve their livelihood security. This is done through mobilizing, organizing, and building the capacity of such communities to utilize locally available resources and opportunities to solve rural local problems.
Rural communities confidently, efficiently and sustainably using locally available resources and opportunities to improve their livelihood security
To work and promote rural initiatives in order to improve communities food and livelihoods security
1. To mobilize, organize and build the capacity of rural communities in order to improve food production, processing and marketing.
2. To provide the necessary technical support to rural groups to enable them realizes the goals of their initiatives.
3. To promote child development in Tharaka through household and community development.
4. To promote environment and cultural biodiversity conservation.
5. To create awareness among communities on the opportunities and resources available locally.
1. Promotes the principles and practices of sustainable and organic agriculture
2. Promotes natural resource management through environmental protection and conservation and use of renewable energy.
3. Promotes seed security and biodiversity conservation
4. Creates awareness among stakeholders about the problems facing smallholder farmers.
5. Creates awareness on the prevention and control of spread of HIV/AIDS
6. Promote education for the needy children.
Values of RIDEP.
1. People-centred development.
2. Recognition & respect for indigenous knowledge, creativity & innovations.
3. Commitment to action, result, and impact.
4. Support for recognition of, equity and justice to small-scale farmers, Pastoralists and the landless.
5. Gender sensitive Development.
6. Transparency, accountability and constructive self-criticism.
7. Commitment to complementary partnership through networking and collaboration
Last Updated (Wednesday, 23 March 2011 13:57)