Mandera Central District Profile
MANDERA CENTRAL DISTRICT
partner organization: CONCERN FOR PASTORALIST DEVELOPMENT (COPAD)
Mohamed Sheikh (District Coordinator)
Takaba Road, Alis building, Elwak Town
P.O. Box 400-70300, Elwak
Geographical area: The larger Mandera district
Major sectors of work: Education, health care services, water and sanitation and environmental
Human Resources: No paid staff
Main sources of income: Donations and grants from national and international organisations
COPAD is a non-profit making, non-racial, non-religious, and non-political organisation started in the year 2003 by a group of professionals whose aim was to improve the pathetic conditions under which pastoralist communities live. It is geared towards assisting the most vulnerable among the pastoralist community are affected either by the recurring drought or the frequent ethnic clashes over the inadequate resources (pasture and water).
COPAD was therefore created on the philosophy that it is the community itself can best create sustainable solutions tot heir own problems. Privileged with the advantage of having knowledge on the community lifestyle, the organisation will implement programmes through which communities participate thus promote community ownership of projects. Among the many issues to be addressed to this course are
Vision: A pervading culture of peace and sustainable development for the pastoral community.
Mission: To protect and advocate for the most vulnerable, disadvantaged and more marginalised members of the pastoral community.
Motto: Committed to empowerment.
• To raise the level of community participation and ownership in/of development programs/projects
• Promote local resource mobilization and self dependence
• Advocate for pastoralist friendly policies in all government departments
• Capacity building for individuals, groups and community based organisations
• Enhance communication between the community, the development actors and the government representatives
• To improve the living standards of marginalised communities
Agricultural; training and capacity building for peace; advocacy and information; research and documentation; environmental and Income Generating activities
Last Updated (Wednesday, 23 March 2011 13:18)