Lari District Profile
partner organization: KIJABE ENVIRONMENT VOLUNTEERS
Julius Kimani Kariara
Matathia, Kereita forests next to District Commissioners office
P.O BOX 49, Matathia.
Phone: +254721980908; 0712634786
District coordinator: Stephen Kamau
Geographical area: Kikuyu Escarpment forest
Major sectors of work: Environment conservation and Community development
Human Resources: 5 paid staff
Main sources of income: Donations and grants from national and international organisations
The Kijabe Environment Volunteers (KENVO) is a non-profit making community-based organization that works to conserve the globally important Kikuyu Escarpment forests in the southern Aberdare mountain range.
The group was formed in 1994 by members of the local community who wanted to halt the rapid destruction of local forests. Since then, KENVO has grown into a highly effective and professional conservation unit. KENVO now delivers a range of environmental and social projects, including: forest rehabilitation activities, community awareness-raising workshops, a schools outreach programme, an international youth exchange programme, and developing eco-tourism and a number of environmentally friendly income generating projects to improve the livelihoods of the groups members and the wider community. The group also mentors other community conservation groups locally and nationally and seeks to influence environmental policy at the local and national level.
KENVO strives to conserve natural habitats and resources in the Kikuyu Escarpment Forest and beyond by delivering conservation projects, raising awareness, improving livelihoods and empowering local communities
For the Kikuyu Escarpment forest and other natural habitats and resources to be conserved for their biodiversity importance and to support the livelihoods of local communities
• We conserve and care for the environment and promote the sustainable use of resources.
• We are transparent and accountable to our partners, donors and the wider community.
• We are accessible to all members of the community and involve them in everything that we do.
• We behave responsibly and professionally and strive for excellence at all times.
• We promote a spirit of altruism and volunteering and are responsive to the views and needs of our members.
• We actively collaborate with other individuals and partner organizations who share our goals and standards.
• We manage all the financial resources entrusted to us effectively and challenge corruption wherever we encounter it.
Last Updated (Wednesday, 23 March 2011 12:55)